Marble Blast Ultra rolls right off of XBLA

Marble Blast Ultra, one of the earliest and most played Xbox Live Arcade games has been removed from the Xbox Live Marketplace. The game is no longer available for download except for those who have already purchased it via their download history. The delisting is due to GarageGames’ recent and rocky history.

Between the closure of GarageGames’ InstantAction service in 2010 and the company’s revival earlier this year, it seems the IP rights to Marble Blast Ultra have been lost in the shuffle. GarageGames, now a subsidiary of Graham Software Development, only owns the rights to the Torque game engine, which powers Marble Blast Ultra. Rights to its games are still property of InstantAction Holdings. As such, GarageGames stopped offering its old titles after its transition to new ownership in February.

In a January forum post, GarageGames CEO Eric Preisz said that it was “unlikely” that the studio would reacquire the rights to its games.

We personally never liked the rebranding of GarageGames, we were actually disheartened. We’re glad to see them back although it’s a shame some great people who once worked there have found employment elsewhere.

6 Responses to “Marble Blast Ultra rolls right off of XBLA”

1. Jessica Reever says:

Disheartened? Same here! my heart is still BROKEN from what’s happened. How can they let such a successful game like marble blast just fade away into darkness.

2. XuloudX2 says:

I can’t even describe my anger. MB is the only game I played with Jessica. It’s removal from XBLM has cut the number of online players by way more than half. It takes me so long to find games sometimes.

3. Danni says:

“Unlikely” it would require the rights? And why is that? Why on earth GarageGames let Barry Diller wipe his ass on them I do not know. Seriously, they need to get the rights back to their own game before something else happens. Correct me if I;m wrong, but MBU is GarageGames most successful game and is what made them hugely popular (exlcuding Torque etc).

4. TekkieDev23 says:

“We personally never liked the rebranding of GarageGames, we were actually disheartened.”

Cannot agree with you more, Anya.

5. MBP dude says:

How dare them?! I loved to play MBU!!!!

6. ScottTrubs says: